Narrow bridges

Madison County studies costs to widen four narrow bridges on Old US 431 south of Hampton Cove

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama – The Madison County Commission commissioned a road study of four bridges over the Flint River as a preliminary step before seeking funding for state highways that would pay 80% of the cost of widening the narrow bridges.

Madison County commissioned a nearly $ 20,000 study to determine the extent of work needed to widen four bridges along the Flint River. This photo was taken when the river flooded in January. (Paul Huggins/[email protected])

Madison County Engineer Richard Grace said the old US 431 bridges between Hampton Cove and Cherry Tree Road were safe, but because they are so narrow, the county wants to determine how much it would cost to expand them.

The bridges are barely wide enough for two oncoming vehicles to cross simultaneously. Two of the longer bridges require northbound motorists to yield to southbound vehicles before crossing.

Grace said the study, which will be conducted by Garver LLC for $ 19,910, will examine water flow and structural integrity to indicate whether or not the county can simply widen the road bed on the piles. support or if the county needs to completely rebuild the bridges.

Madison County is trying to find out the scope and cost of the bridge improvements before submitting the plan to the Alabama Department of Transportation in May.

This summer, the state will choose the recipients of its third and final cycle of ATRIP (Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program). The program covers 80 percent of the costs of road projects, with cities and counties providing the remaining 20 percent.

So far, ATRIP has distributed around $ 600 million of the $ 1 billion program. The state is prioritizing bridge improvements as Alabama has nearly 3,000 bridges that are over 50 years old.

Seen Flint River Bridges on Old US 431 in a larger map


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *